Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nike Women's Marathon


For the last 10 weeks I have been training my butt off to run the Nike Women's Half Marathon. It was my first half marathon and the first thing I have trained for since before I was pregnant with Jaxson. I used to run all the time and LOVED it so much. It has been fun to rekindle my love for it. :) I got to the point in training where I knew I had the endurance to run it, but I would still push myself harder and harder each run so I knew I would do my personal best in the race. Then, as luck would have it, last Friday (9 days before the race) I hurt my knee. After 3 days of it being almost twice the size it normally is, Danny strongly encouraged (made) me go to the ER and have it checked out to make sure that running my race wouldn't hurt it more or permanently. When I saw the doctor in the Emergency Room and told him how I had hurt it, he immediately said, "you tore your meniscus". After examining it, he decided it was probably the medial meniscus in my knee and told me that if I ran my race I would make it worse, possible blow out my whole knee. We won't find out if that is for sure the problem until I get my MRI, but the bottom line is I couldn't run my race. After talking to my friends I have been training with, they convinced me to just jump in at the last .25 mile so I could at least cross the finish line and get my Tiffany's Necklace and t-shirt. I felt a little guilty, but I did train my butt off these past few months, I feel like I deserve it! So, I joined in with Megan and Nadine right before the home stretch and ran with them to the finish line. They did so awesome, I wish I could have been there for the whole thing with them. We decided that we will all come back to SF and do this every year to help keep in touch with each other after our husbands all graduate, so I guess there's always next year!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Nick and Natalie said...

i would have thought danny would have been running in the nike womens half marathon. Congrats!

erin said...

Skinny Minnie Loni! You look great! Sorry about the bum knee. Feel better soon.

Becky said...

I am so glad you decided to do the last leg! You earned it, baby! See you soon!

Kera said...

Loni,
I am so sad to see you got hurt. shoot. At least you got a little bling from my good buddy TIFFANY!

Kimberley said...

Congrats! I didn't know you did this- I'm so impressed and you look great!